Thursday, April 8, 2010

Scuba Diving in Lanai

On one of our date days we went scuba diving. Diving is one of my favorite activities! It's soooo much fun! What a wonderful experience to be practically weightless and swim along with the ocean creatures! It was a two hour boat ride to the nearby island of Lanai where we dove at 2nd Cathedral and then Wash Rock.

Not to sound like a dive snob, but we were a little spoiled by all of our dives in Cozumel. Unfortunately, it just can't compare. Don't get me wrong, it was still beautiful and so much fun, but not quite as good. The water was cooler, the reefs and coral weren't nearly as bursting with life and colors, there weren't as many or as colorful or beautiful fish, and the visibility wasn't nearly as good. But it was still wonderful and I'm so glad we took the opportunity to dive while there!
First dive at 2nd Cathedral
I have to admit, I was a tini bit nervous before we started. I had a little cold and was afraid I might have problems equalizing my ears. But it wasn't too bad, on the first dive. For some reason I can't get the pictures to turn correctly, sorry!

Aloha! (It was sooo funny, Chris had a hard time getting his fingers to do the aloha- Ya had to be there!)




It took about five minutes to descend on our second dive because I was having such a hard time equalizing. Everyone else was waiting for me and I had just told Chris I was going to give up and go back up, when it popped! So I thought I'd be fine. I made it through the dive okay, not normal, but okay. But during our ascent after our safety stop at 15 feet I started having problems again. I didn't have ear pain, but it felt like the left side of my forehead was going to explode. I tried to go up super slow but I couldn't get my ear to pop. When I got to the surface it hurt sooooo bad. Chris was right there and said I had a bloody nose. I tried to go back down a little but I couldn't and it wasn't helping. That may have been the worst pain I've ever felt. It's almost a blur now, I also felt dizzy and nauseous. Someone gave me a decongestant which I think helped. The intense pain lasted about 30 minutes until it popped and then I was totally fine! Whew! Thank goodness. The dive masters said it was a reverse sinus block. It occurs as the pressure decreases on ascent, the volume of air increases proportionately and due to congestion the air wasn't able to escape out of my sinus. That will not be happening again!
The end of the dive, desperately trying to equalize.

1 comment:

S. Tallman said...

Oh, sounds very painful! So glad you were okay soon after.