Friday, April 3, 2009

Back at Home

A lot was happening here while we were gone too.  My sister Laura had been living with us since September and she found a place to rent and moved in the same day.  My mom came up to help her with the move so they were both staying at our house and watching the pets.

I was looking forward to having a nice, relaxing day off to unpack and get all caught up before heading back to work which never happens- we always stay away as long as we possibly can.  We had dinner with Laura and my mom and finally I walked into my bathroom and much to our amazement and excitement it was painted!  The ugly wallpaper was gone and it was the perfect shade!  A new shampoo and etc. holder that was big enough for everything was hanging and a new curtain rack was waiting to be hung also.  She had scrubbed the tile in the shower and on the floor.  I was thrilled and amazed!  It looked soooooo awesome!!!!  And all while we were on vacation!  It doesn't get better than that!
But within about 20 minutes Chris ruined our joy.  ;-)  (Just joking Sweetie!)  He decided to take off one of the tiles because we had suspected there might be some leakage since the grout had worn off in a few places.  And that started yet another disaster.  Once again in this house we found soaked drywall and mold.  Hopefully this is it!  And then began the distruction of the entire shower wall.  I didn't even get to enjoy a shower or get ready for bed in our beautifully painted bathroom.My mom and sister started us on a cleaning and organizing splurge.  For over two and a half years I have been so overwhelmed with the clutter in our house and everything we have to do and nothing being done.  Despite my mom only being here a few short times, she's been a bit disgusted by it also.  So she inspired us!  She started by buying us closet doors for the baby's room and the computer.  Why we never paid $120 to do the doors in both rooms, I don't know.  But having doors on the closets makes a HUGE difference!  We're still working on it, but we're also cleaning the disastrous mess in the computer room.
Chris has been working everyday since we got back from our trip and I've been busy too, but we're hopefully going to retile the bathroom this weekend.  And then we might do some other improvements to it.  And we're working on organizing everything else too.  Not to mention, the downstairs family room is still only partially dry walled.  Yup, we have a lot to do!  But at least things are getting done!!!

It's finally been snowing a lot here!  April showers bring May flowers!  We desperately need the moisture!  It's been a bit frustrating though, once we got almost a foot of snow and most of it melted the next day making our yard a muddy mess, and making it a pain in the butt to clean Jason's paws every time he wants to go outside.  Which is the other major project we need to do soon this spring, re-seed the backyard and everything that's associated with a nice, thick, grassy yard.  It would be nice to have an automatic sprinkler system, but I think with everything else we have going on we can't afford that right now.

And I guess that's about it.  March just flew by between having company, working to make up for days off, and our trip.  I'm about a month behind on reading, e-mails, my blog, and other blogs.  But I'm getting caught up!!!

Happy Spring!!!

Happy April!!!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

That project STINKS!! Don't you sometimes wish that you could just live in ignorance of all your homes problems? That's exciting that you are on an organizing streak - we sort of are too. I'll have to come over and see all the exciting things you're doing!

S. Tallman said...

Oh, my goodness... the shower looks soooooo different than when I was there a few weeks back! LOVE the closet doors and the paint in the bathroom. Three cheers for Laurie and your incredible mother! One of the DISadvantages to owning a home is the upkeep. One of the ADvantages of owning a home is the upkeep!

Love, Mom