Thursday, June 3, 2010

No More Naps

The last couple of weeks have been rough with sleeping. Keira seems to think she's having way too much fun to take naps. She also thinks it's too much fun to play with everything in her crib and find hidden treasures.
Usually we find her standing up. We'll put her down and immediately she'll turn over and push herself up, and then stand up. She's usually totally silent while she does this so we would have no idea. She always stands up on the edge closest to the door and looks out and she gets so excited when she sees me . After a while she might start saying "mamamama" or words. And sometimes on a bad day when she realizes that mamama is not going to rescue her she starts crying.
But usually she just plays until she exhausts herself and she falls asleep slumped over like this. It's so sad! I feel like a horrible mother. So then once she falls asleep I lay her on her back so she'll be more comfortable. But sometimes she won't go back to sleep.
She used to HATE being on her tummy, but now she usually turns over and stays this way. But it might be that she's trying to stand up but is just too tired so she just falls asleep on her tummy.
I don't know what to do. Keira is much happier when she takes naps. (And so are Mommy and Daddy.) She's not one to enjoy being rocked to sleep since she was a few months old. I often nurse her before I put her down but she usually doesn't fall asleep nursing. Plus I don't want her to have to nurse to go back to sleep. I put her down when I know she's tired. And I take her out as soon as I hear she's awake. I'm not sure if I should take everything out of the crib so there are less distractions, or what. Any suggestions? She's actually been pretty good at night. I think because she's so tired that she either falls asleep feeding or she's tired enough to only stand once and is usually asleep within a few minutes. But napping not so much.

6 comments:

Brie said...

How many naps does she take a day? She may need less naps. Maybe even just shoot for one nap a day and try putting her down about 12pm. Then she might be really tired and do less playing. Both my girls went to one nap a day at about 1 year old. Or she may need to just have more wake time before you put her in her crib. Try moving her nap back 30 mins. Hope that helps a little. More playing has always been a sign for me. On the other hand she may be over tired and over stimulated too. If we don't hit the window with our girls then they won't nap at all. Maybe more structured nap schedule too. Like naps at
10 and 2 but of course is she's tired you can move it up a little. And once she goes to one nap a day, it will revolutionize mommy hood!:)

Jessica said...

One thing we did with Cam is to set a certain amount of time that he had to stay in his bed (like an hour). It didn't matter if he fell asleep or not, but he had to be in there for that long (we still do this for him). Also, we try and take anything that can be played with out of the crib (although you'd be amazed how much fun can be had with a paci). One other thing that really helps our kids is routine. Once they have one established for naps, it's SO MUCH easier to get them calmed down. Remember, nap time is as much for you as it is for her, so don't give in!

Ani said...

Hey! Wow, you have been a good blogger lately! She is getting so big and soooo cute!!!!!
I think these mamas said it best.
Routine is a must.
Take everything out!
Kate loves it to be dark, and we turn a fan on for noise.
I don't go in there, unless I think she is stuck in the slats, or choking! They are so smart, and they know if they cry you will come running.
If I put Kate down even an hour too late, she has a really hard time going to sleep. If they are overtired, it is so hard for them.
Also, I agree with the one hour thing. Now I wait longer.
My sister also told me that a well rested baby will wake up happy, and I totally use that as a rule. If she wakes up after an hour, and if fussy, I know she is not done. I wait, and she will go back to sleep.
And remember, an hour is a nap. Nothing shorter!
Fight for those naps! You just have to teach her how to do it!
Also, just when you think you have it done, they start doing something funky! Sometimes we have a week were she is just a terrible napper, but it usually returns to normal!

Chris and Debbie said...

Thanks so much for your advice ladies! I really appreciate it! We have a hard time with schedules but it's probably something I need to work on. I usually just put her down when she seems tired, but maybe I'm waiting too long. I have been keeping her in there when she's awake and just standing up or playing or whatever. But then she usually falls asleep sitting and bent over and she looks so uncomfortable. But usually she falls back asleep after I lay her down. Thanks again!

Anne Belk said...

I would second the advice to take everything out of the crib. I've done a fair amount of reading about baby sleep b/c Connie is not a good sleeper. All the experts say not to have anything in the crib except a binky (if she uses one) and maybe a lovey. Things in the crib can also be a hazard if she can get tangled in them (like a loose blanket).
We are working on being more consistent with nap times, and it is helping. But sometimes it's hard to plan my day around naps.

S. Tallman said...

Maybe Keira takes after her daddy. Chris had a whole world to explore, and he didn't want to waste any unnecessary time sleeping it away! :-)