Wednesday, June 25, 2008

My 10 Year High School Reunion

A couple of weekends ago I had the opportunity to go home for my 10 year high school reunion.  I grew up in a small, beautiful town in southwestern Colorado called Ouray.  It's referred to as the Switzerland of America.  We moved there from Fallbrook, California when I was about three years old.  The population of Ouray is still about 800 because luckily there isn't much room for growth.  It's snugly nestled between mountains.  There are no stoplights, no fast food restaurants, and only two paved streets in the town.  When I was sixteen I moved to Golden, Colorado to live with my dad.  After I left I realized how absolutely gorgeous it is and how lucky I was to have grown up there.  When people ask where I'm from and I tell them Ouray, I almost always get an "Ooooh, I love that place!  It's so beautiful!"  And I must agree.  It's great for hiking, camping, jeeping, ice climbing, and Telluride is about 12 miles away as the crow flies for the best skiing in Colorado!  And luckily for me, my mom still lives there!  But enough about the town.

Here's the view as you're driving into Ouray from the North.  It's taken from the house we used to live in.

This is the view (not a very good one) of Ouray looking North.  There are some beatiful scenic overlooks but I didn't think to do that.

It's hard to believe I graduated from high school ten years ago.  It was soooo much fun seeing everyone!  Even though I didn't actually graduate from there, I still got to go.  There were 12 of the 21 people from our graduating class which is a pretty good turnout.

Our freshman class photo.  Thank goodness we've become more stylish.  :o)

And here's our class during the reunion:  Selene, Kelly, Damion, Anne, Bryanna, Me, Chena, Tracy, Michael, and Brie
Another picture without the glare.

Brie, Anne, and I hung out Saturday before the dinner and went to baby bathtubs.  It was really fun!

I also got to spend some quality time with my mom which was wonderful!  Although I missed Chris being there, I had a blast!

2 comments:

Brie said...

I loved your post and reflection on the weekend. Ouray is so beautiful and we were fortunate to grow up there AND to be included in the reunion since we technically didn't graduate there! I'm glad you got the pictures okay!

Danielle said...

What a fun weekend! And cute pictures too. I can't believe how beautiful it is there. You are lucky! Puts California to shame!